Sunday, January 11, 2015

Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas Review

Sunday, January 11, 2015
Title : Ask Again Later
Author : Liz Czukas
Genre : YA Contemporary
Published : March 11th, 2014
Publisher : Harper Teen

GOODREADS

Despite what her name might suggest, Heart has zero interest in complicated romance. So when her brilliant plan to go to prom with a group of friends is disrupted by two surprise invites, Heart knows there's only one drama-free solution: flip a coin.

Heads: The jock. He might spend all night staring at his ex or throw up in the limo, but how bad can her brother's best friend really be?

Tails: The theater geek...with a secret. What could be better than a guy who shares all Heart's interests--even if he wants to share all his feelings?

Heart's simple coin flip has somehow given her the chance to live out both dates. But where her prom night ends up might be the most surprising thing of all...

If you're looking for a light and funny reading, this book is for you. It has no triangle-love, and the drama is only a little. This is my first time reading Liz Czukas' book, and I can say that I'm looking forward for her second book, Top Ten Clues You're Clueless.

Basically, the whole book is about "what if..." thing. The MC, Heart, is going to the prom with her friends, the No Drama Prom-a crew. But then, she got asked by two guys to the prom, so she make the scenario "what if I went to prom with Troy (the jock)" and "what if I went to prom with Ryan (the geek)". Its a simple plot, and thats why I love it.

Heart is your normal teenager. Smart, a little sarcastic, nice. But personally, I'd like to think Heart as your friend who's hard to choose between two things, so in my case, thats me. I often spend much time thinking which books will I buy first, which party will I go, etc. That's why, I kinda understand when she's so confused to choose between two guys (which both nice, btw) and decided that the best way to choose is to flip a coin. I probably would do that too if I was in her position.

Heart's friends, the No Drama Prom-a crew, are like everyone definition of best friends. They do crazy things together, sit at lunch together, etc. But, of course, even they're all best friends, at least you'll have that one friends that's super close. In Heart's case, I think its Schoeder. They always call each other with some weird nickname--internal organs such as "Lung", "Pancreas" for Heart, and "Schoeder" for Chase. Its really cute and made me ship them immediately.

Despite Heart zero interest in romance, there's actually a romance in this book that involve Heart. Its really obvious since the beginning of the book (and I think you could guess it *wink*). The romance is cute and not fast-paced--since its Heart first relationship--which I like.

The only thing that I didn't like is the writing style. Liz Czukas always change the "what if" scenario between Heads (Troy) and Tails (Ryan) every chapter. I often have to read the previous chapter again to remember the scene, so its bugging me a little. But overall, this book is great! I will recommend it to everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bookish Thought © 2014